Stewart Island Place Names ……
Te Wai Paua ….. “The Paua Waters” William Topi and around 40 others from Ruapuke set up a village here in 1843. Abandoned by 1890. Lease later by Captain Hansen and farmed for around 5 years
The Kaik (a) ….. A small fishing village. Refers to the old settlement.
The Kaik Beach
The Kaik is behind the sandy bay slightly left of centre
Sails Ashore now produces 100 % of our electrical needs, and have cut our non renewable heating fuel usage to around 20% of pre solar.
Kowhai Lane is "Grid Tied" and exports excess electricity to the local grid.
Both have significantly reduced our carbon footprint
We are Fully Vaccinated