Stewart Island Place Names ……
Tutae Ka Wetoweto ….. “Diminishing Pieces of Dung” most probably given by Te Kaha, who with his war party was in pursuit of a hated enemy, and tracking by the human waste left behind.
Port South East …… Another name from Owen Smith, on his voyage 1804.
Lords River …… Renamed by John Grono in 1809, after his principal, Sydney merchant (one time convict) Lindsay Lord. Sometimes irreverently called “Jesus Creek” by local fishermen