Stewart Island Place Names ……
Te Wai Paua ….. “The Paua Waters” William Topi and around 40 others from Ruapuke set up a village here in 1843. Abandoned by 1890. Lease later by Captain Hansen and farmed for around 5 years
The Kaik (a) ….. A small fishing village. Refers to the old settlement.
The Kaik Beach
The Kaik is behind the sandy bay slightly left of centre